Pages

dimanche 29 décembre 2013

Miley Cyrus Talks Racism, Ariana Grande, Jonas Bro and 'Answering To' Disney


Miley Cyrus had a major 2013. Whether you were a fan of her music and/or antics or not, you have to admit that much. Opening up in a no-holds-barred interview with the New York Times this weekend, Cyrus looked back at not only her performance at the MTV Video Music Awards and allegations that she was racist or copying Black culture, but Joe Jonas, Ariana Grande and answering to entities like The Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. The VMAs, Racism and people, like Wendy Williams, saying she's appropriated Black culture: "It’s actually really funny how many people could watch my performance, and they think it was, like, sexist and degrading to women, and somehow people found that it was racist, which I couldn’t even wrap my mind around. Because I’m like: “How do I win? If I have white dancers, then I’m racist. If I have black girl dancers, then I’m racist.” We know we’re not racist, and I know I’m not putting down women. People got a rise out of me saying that I was a feminist, but I am. I’m telling women be whoever you want to be." "My grandma, who is alive, was living in a time where there was no way in hell that she would’ve ever thought there would’ve been a black president. I mean, never. And my grandma’s like, not even 80, so this is in a short period of time that things have changed so much. I really thought about it a lot when Nelson Mandela passed away, because I couldn’t even imagine living this life and seeing how much it’s changed. So, you know, I look forward to when I’m older, my kids being like, “What do you mean people ever even talked about what color your dancers were?”" Jealousy, being put in a box and being forced to delete pictures: "I was so jealous of what everyone else got to do, because I didn’t get to truly be myself yet. But now I realize how much they’re not being themselves either. You don’t have to be signed to Disney Channel to be put in a box, or to be rated PG. I’m with artists sometimes, and I’ll take a picture of them or whatever. They make me delete it." "Yeah, it’s insane. I’ll get someone to, like, flash me, and they’ll be, like, “You have to delete it!” I had to do that when I was 14 or 15, but even then I didn’t care. Like, if someone was videoing me ripping a bong, I didn’t care, so it’s just funny to me. I’m like: “Dude, you’re 30. Like, why can’t someone see a picture of your [breasts]?” Celebs, including Ariana Grande and Joe Jonas, and contracts: "I don’t have a bunch of celeb friends, because I feel like some of them are a little scared of the association. This is terrible. I was backstage with [the rising pop star] Ariana Grande. I’m like, “Walk out with me right now and get this picture, and this will be the best thing that happens to you, because just you associating with me makes you a little less sweet... She’s trying. I see her wearing the shorter things. She comes in, and she goes, “This made me feel like you.” And I’m like, “That was like my sixth grade prom dress.” She’s, I think, still on Nickelodeon. She has people that she has to kind of respect. And answer to, exactly. Things came out that happened — like, you know, bong videos — when I was on Disney. But I never wanted to do that to Disney. When I was no longer employed by anyone, that’s when I was like, “O.K., I’m going to do my own thing.” But I waited until I felt like I had respectfully finished out what I was supposed to do, you know?" "(Joe Jonas) If you want to smoke weed, you’re going to smoke weed. There’s nothing that two little girls are going to get you to do that you don’t want to do. I thought maybe he was saying that like it was going to make him look badass.... We were so young that it’s actually like, “How did you get peer pressured by me?”

0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire